A cage specific record that includes:
- Information about the breeders: birth dates of breeders (dam and sire), their genotypes, identifiers such as ear tag numbers, and what generation they are in the line (particularly if backcrossing or inbreeding)
- Correct nomenclature is strongly encouraged. Please refer to this Jackson Labs tutorial for guidance
- Information about the breeding itself: the mate date (day the male and female/s were first co-housed)
- Information about the resulting litters: birth dates of litters, number of pups born, number of pups noted to have died or become missing, and weaned, and weaning dates.
- Digital records are useful to track breeding colony success over time. This can be done in excel or using an online mouse colony tracking software. A free online breeding tracking program is SoftMouse