Policy on the Use of Hazardous Materials in Animal Activities
This policy enacts those provisions of the following federal and state requirements pertaining to the use of hazardous materials in research, teaching, and testing activities that involve vertebrate animals.
- Public Health Service Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, published by the Office of Lab Animal Welfare, NIH.
- Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals, published by the National Academy of Sciences, 1997.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, published by National Research Council
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories 5th Edition, published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes for Health.
- NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (NIH Guidelines)
- Federal Select Agent Regulations (7CFR331, 9CFR121, and 42CRF73)
- Hazardous Work in Laboratories rule R325.70101 to R325.70114 of Act 154 Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act (MIOSHA)
- Code of Federal Regulations, PART 20—Standards For Protection Against Radiation Title 10, Part 20
For questions, additional detail, or to request changes to this policy, please contact the Office of the Assistant Vice President for Research, Director of the Animal Care and Use Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734) 763-8028.