Oversight of the Michigan Medicine Research Fellow Program:
Oversight and enforcement of the policies related to the Research Fellow Program at Michigan Medicine shall reside with the Office of Postdoctoral Studies.
Research Fellow Salaries:
Effective April 1, 2023, all Research Fellows at the Michigan Medicine must have a minimum salary equivalent to their year(s) of postdoctoral experience at the University of Michigan on the most recent NIH NRSA Stipend scale. Salary components may include a combination of funding from the University of Michigan and outside institutions or fellowships.
Personal funds cannot be used to meet this salary level. Any additional funding above this required salary that may be required for visa sponsorship of dependents can be shown in personal funds.
Research Fellows at the University of Michigan (UM) are benefits eligible. They may not waive their UM research fellow benefits unless covered by comparable insurance. For those sponsored by UM on non-immigrant visas, the insurance offered by the International Center is not considered comparable to UM benefits.
Offer and Renewal Letters:
Upon appointment and renewal, an Offer Letter signed by the principal investigator, postdoctoral fellow, and unit administrator serves as the contract for each one-year term of the appointment. The required letter must include:
- Requirements and expectations for the position
- % effort for the appointment
- Start Month, Day, Year
- Duration: one year maximum
- Whether appointment is renewable, up to a maximum of 5 years at UM
- Expectations and contingencies for renewal
- Salary: Effective April 1, 2023, at a minimum, must meet current NIH NRSA Stipend scale according to years of postdoctoral experience at UM
- Information about visa sponsorship, if necessary
- Contact information for unit administrator
- Description of any forms and documentation required for employment (upon arrival)
- Laboratory information
- Contact information for principal investigator
Time in Rank:
Per the Standard Practice Guide, postdoctoral Research Fellowships are limited to five years in duration at the UM. If a department would like to extend a postdoctoral research fellow appointment beyond five years, the department must apply for an exception from the Michigan Medicine Office of Postdoctoral Studies at least six months in advance of the 5-year deadline. Exceptions to the standard limit will only be granted in extraordinary circumstances.
Per the Standard Practice Guide, units at the University will use the title of Research Fellow when appointing individuals who already possess either a terminal doctoral degree (i.e., Ph.D.) or a professional doctorate (e.g., M.D., D.D.S, D.V.M.). Individuals who have not yet completed their degree program are not eligible to hold a Research Fellow appointment.